Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dad! You're Gonna Love This!

It came to me in a flash today after I got off the phone with you. Instead of trying to remember all the amazing details of my everyday life in New York City, I'm just going to write this blog to you.
Don't get upset, I know new things scare you. And the word "blog" is probably very futuristic and heathen-sounding to you. But just think of it as a really fast letter. Or a really long email. And don't forget to breathe.
It's going to be fun. All you have to do is read. Maybe look at some pictures every once in a while. Then, if there's something you want to tell Duke or Woody about, you can just send them a link to this and they can look at it themselves. (I'll explain what a link is later.)

I had dinner with Don and Adam tonight at a restaurant called El Centro. It was only about six blocks from my hotel, but since it's so weirdly hot and humid here right now, I felt faint around block three. I was wearing a sweatshirt and black jeans, which did not help. And I haven't walked more than one city block since 1992, so I do take partial responsibility. Don told me that it gets hotter at the end of the day in NYC because all the heat from the sun and the cars starts rising back up from the pavement. Dang, right? That ain't never happened on Petaluma Boulevard!
Plus, all I'd eaten all day was one of those weird snack boxes they sell you on the plane. I paid six dollars for a bag of Cheez-Its and some almond butter. I refused to eat the fruit cup that was in there because I'm not five years old. Can you imagine a fully grown adult on a business trip sitting in an airplane seat eating a fruit cup? Pathetic.

Anyhow, there are a lot of people in this city. Everywhere. All the time. We walked through Central Park after dinner and the place was packed. Now, I know I promised I wouldn't go near the park anytime between 5pm and 6am, but it wasn't my fault. Adam said, "Let's walk down by the lake." So, I  figured I could either A) run straight back to my hotel and never talk to those guys again or B) keep walking and hope all my years of John L Sullivan boxing with you in the kitchen would pay off when we got jumped. I decided to roll the dice. I mean, if I'm gonna live here, I have to be ready to live on the edge!
It turns out the only scary thing that happened was we had to walk by all those poor carriage horses on our way out. Turns out, old Lady was living the horses' dream life out in Aunt Jean's field. Do you think Lady ever fantasized about standing in traffic on Columbus Circle? Don't answer, I won't be able to hear you. We're not Skyping.