Monday, September 6, 2010

Picture Attack!

(Dad- You may want to play some Vivaldi quietly in the background as you look at this series of photos, you know, to enhance your viewing experience.)

I finally fixed my photo uploading problem. Turns out, you have to connect the phone to the computer! Man, I love to learn.
So, what I did was I went to the Apple Store on 5th Avenue, just a stone's throw from Tiffany's. (I know you'd probably love a trinket from there Dad, but let's hold off until I know I'm not going to be fired.) Guess what? This place is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year! And it looks like Lex Luthor lives there! What more do you want from a store? A doorman, you say? No problem. He's standing right there in front.



And here's where Letterman shoots his show. This is on 58th and my hotel was on 57th. We were practically neighbors. You've gotta come and visit so we can go to a taping. Wouldn't that be fun? But you'd have to promise not to scream and cry like a Beatles fan. Dave's not into stuff like that.


Here's a man who, as far as I can tell, is voluntarily wearing red pants. I think I see suspenders under that jaunty sweater/ cape. He's probably a retired fireman who can't let go of the past. Or he's French. Either way, I adore him. I wonder if he's friends with the lady I saw on Day One who had red pants. I wonder if I'm supposed to get red pants...


Now, I know you're very against graffiti of any kind, but I thought this was cool. The entire side of the building is covered in this red writing. I chose not to capture that because I wanted to include some pavement. It was an artistic choice, juxtaposing the street art with actual street. I also wanted you to see that Petaluma isn't the only town with road maintenance problems. Look at those cracks! And those oil stains! Where am I, Calcutta?


Look at this! Just look at it! You've got stuff like this happening on every street you walk down! It's absolute madness! I tried to shimmy up a street sign to get a better shot of those ladies up there, but then I  read the sign. It was a "NO SHIMMYING ANYTIME" zone, so I got the hell out of there.

Is it a building? Is it public art? Am I going to get mugged if I keep taking pictures of buildings this way? They say the way you know someone's a tourist here is they're always staring upwards. Of course, I want to blend in like I'm a real New Yorker, so as I take these photos I say loudly to myself, "I can't believe my dad is making me take pictures of buildings for him! What a hick!" I'm pretty sure people are buying it.

I didn't take this picture, I saw it online. Isn't that crazy?! Rinse it off, New York!

2 comments:

  1. Please don't take this as rude, because the background is really nice,but I can't read your blog so good god dammit! Also, "Where am I, Calcutta?" is all I really need before bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have severe eye problems, Karen. Making everything easy for you is not my responsibility.

    ReplyDelete