Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's The Heat AND It's The Humidity

I have no coffee maker in this apartment. Surely you understand how unlivable a situation that is for me. For two mornings in a row I've had to get up and walk for blocks, searching for coffee that doesn't taste like hot apathy. And that would be fine-- fun, even. I like urban exploring and people watching and practicing my crossing the street. Except that it's 79 degrees with 60% humidity. At ten in the morning!

As a Californian, I cannot process this type of atmosphere. It's so sweaty and sticky and weird. You take one step outside and suddenly I'm sweating like I've been on the treadmill for an hour. I keep dabbing my forehead like Scarlett O'Hara, as if somehow that's going to keep me from looking like I just left basketball practice. And don't even get me started about what this humidity is doing to my hair! I know you get jealous when I tell hair stories. I'll just say this: I've gotten more than one compliment on my perm.

But the good news is, I live in a city where I can turn a corner and be looking at this:

Another NO STANDING zone?! I guess they have a real problem with dilly-dallying in this city.

Not the limo. I'm no longer impressed by those. Although, what's interesting is that the limo is waiting in line to go into a car wash right there. Since it's New York, the car wash is inside a building like any other business, as opposed to it being free-standing in the middle of a lot. I'm not explaining the weirdness of it very well. Maybe because who cares, really?
What I was trying to show you here is behind everything in the foreground of this picture is the Intrepid. The USS Intrepid, I think they call it? And it is quite a large boat. You can kind of see the top sticking up there. I was surprised to see it in my neighborhood. I was just trying to get one of those bagels everyone keeps raving about and then I turn the corner and see this. 

This is definitely the worst post of this blog so far. I've bored myself. I can barely continue typing. It's just that I'm SO hot and sweaty! And under-caffeinated! I want to cry, but I can't risk losing any more fluids.

Page just texted me to see if I want to go shopping. That's what I need. I'm going to get some new shoes, maybe some anti-perspirant. A linen pant, perhaps. Maybe a book on blogging. I'll get back to you when I have something compelling to report.
Seriously though, you should see my hair right now. It defies logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment